Total Pageviews

Friday, June 25, 2010

What I've Learned About Myself

I've learned that I'm not as good at time management as I thought. (Notice this blog was posted 10 minutes before it was due).  I've learned that I am not as mean I as I thought. I have learned that I am not as intimidating as I've been told. (In fact I think my college-age friends are more scared of me than my middle schoolers). I've learned that I like kids a lot more than I realized... and not just my little sisters anymore. I have realized how easy it is for me to care for someone who, prior to one month ago, I had no knowledge even existed. I have not learned why yet, but I have discovered the interesting fact that, even though I normally do not bother with whether or not someone likes or approves of me, I am desperate to gain the approval of these pre-teens. I have learned that I am extremely unorganized, which I guess could go back to the time management thing, but it has become such an obvious flaw that I feel it's ok to mention twice. 


I have learned that I will be teaching 7th grade writing, which is a state tested subject. In fact a double state tested subject. The Mississippi Curriculum Test 2, and a state writing test.

I have learned that challenge excites rather than scares me. 

I have realized that being a Division I college athlete was easy.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

4 comments:

  1. "I have realized how easy it is for me to care for someone who, prior to one month ago, I had no knowledge even existed."So, so true. I'm missing my kids from the year so much right now. And yet this time last year I didn't know any of them. One of the biggest surprises for me this year was just how deeply you become invested in your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All fantastic realizations, even if you're realizing "negative" things. You can't fix what you don't know, so its great you've made the first step. The hard part will be figuring out how to get good at the shortcomings or areas of improvement that you recognize. Keep trying things until you figure it out and don't get discouraged when you fail. Just keep learning and improving.Your last two lines are the best, and make me think that you'll be fine. Let me know if I can help in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I have realized that being a Division I college athlete was easy."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. I totally understand the need for acceptance/approval from your students. It means you care about teaching, teaching well, and about them.

    ReplyDelete