Total Pageviews

Monday, September 19, 2011

Portfolios: The Best and the Worst

I'm ashamed to say that today was the first time I looked at any of the portfolios from last year's class. There were some that I loved and some that clearly seemed thrown together at the last minute. Overall the ones that I liked the best were the ones that told a story. Below I've listed a set of guidelines that I think applies to what I viewed as the best portfolios.

1. Take tons of pictures. Even though MTC is full of gifted writers, a lot of people went overboard with the amount of copy on their page. Eventually I got sick of reading so I began scanning through pages simply looking at pictures and bold words. The portfolios that were able to get the point across with these key elements were the ones I enjoyed the most. Having said all that, I was disappointed in some of the photo essays. Many of them lacked a central theme, captions, or any explanation at all. Maybe it's the journalism major in me, but if the reader has to work to figure out the purpose of a photo, then you've failed!

2. Tell your story. I understand that the whole focus of Teacher Corps is on the students and I love that, but too many pictures of kids we don't know can get old. I enjoyed seeing MTCers with their students more than seeing tons of pictures of students in their natural environment. There's nothing special about a student sitting at a desk. Of course there is a place for some photos like that. But I want to see your story, not theirs. Some people chose to go as far back as their lives in high school. I'm not sure that I feel the need to go that far back. A general sense of life before MTC seemed to work well, but the bulk of the content needs to be about the two years in MTC.

3. Have a theme? Maybe. I know that establishing a theme is part of the requirement and that it's apparently what made the winning portfolio so great, but I think it's important not to let it get too cliche. Personally I would rather see a clean, well-put-together, and creative page than one that was forced to stick to some theme. In trying to think about what theme I would choose, I find myself becoming concerned that staying within a theme may keep me from doing some of the things I want to do.

Overall, my favorites were the ones that were modern, clean, and full of photos. Those were easy to follow and thus fun to view.

No comments:

Post a Comment